7 Key Questions to ask your contractor
Driveways are a prominent feature of any property and serve an important purpose in any residential or commercial building. They are also a great investment as they increase the value of your home and can help sell it much faster. If you are planning on giving your home or office buildings driveway a fresh new look, there are some key questions you need to ask your contractor before the project gets off the ground.
We’ve compiled a list of the top 7
1. How long has your company been in business?
This needs to be the first question you ask your driveway paving contractor. While many paving contractors who have been around for a year or two may claim to be the best in the business, nothing beats experience.
Paving your driveway entails many complicated steps which is why you need a reputable company to construct it for you. Work with a contractor that has been installing driveways for many years. More than anything else, what you should ask yourself is:
(a) Do they have the right skills for the job?
(b) Do they have the right amount of experience?
Champion Builders has been in business since 1985. We have over 30 years of experience in driveway paving and we are one of Durban’s most reputable and experienced driveway paving companies.
2. How much will my driveway paving cost?
Before installing your driveway, make sure you have an idea of the costs involved. It’s a big investment so costs will be a huge factor. You could even ask your contractor for an estimate in writing and whether or not they offer payment plans. Installation and costs of a new driveway will depend on a number of elements namely:
- The intricacy or complexity of the design you choose
- The size of your driveway
- The materials that will be used in constructing it
Champion Builders offer clients affordable, high-quality driveway paving solutions. Get in touch with us today and we will be happy to quote you on driveway paving absolutely free of charge.
3. How long will it take to pave my driveway?
Driveway paving involves multiple steps such as ground preparation or grading the soil, laying the base materials and pavers, grouting, cleaning etc. The time it takes to complete all these steps will obviously depend on the size of your driveway. Your chosen contractor should be able to give you an estimate of how long your project will take.
4. Is Your Company Licensed and Insured?
It goes without saying that you should avoid working with a driveway contractor that does not have a bona fide business license or insurance policy. Ask to see their official paperwork if you have to. Professionals are always licensed and insured so they will have no problem producing the proper documentation. Ensure you always work with a creditable contractor that meets all the contracting regulations, safety and health requirements.
5. What services does your company provide?
There are many driveway paving contractors that have a specialist field. Some may deal only in driveway repairs, while some may only specialise in driveway installations. Ultimately, you will want to work with one that can ideally provide you with the specific service your project requires. Two top choices for driveway surfaces include:
- Brick paving – An affordable, attractive solution for your home’s driveway
- Concrete paving – This form of paving is extremely cost efficient and is roughly twice as strong as ordinary concrete
If you’re in need of driveway paving repairs, Champion Builders has a wealth of experience in this field so contact us for your unique requirements.
6. How long will the driveway surface last?
When installing a driveway, you obviously want it to last. Reputable contractors will only use materials that are designed to last for many years. Don’t just take their word for it when they tell you it will last a lifetime. Do your research. Brick driveways are very durable and if they are properly maintained, can last for around 25 years.
7. Can You Provide References & Examples Of Your Recent Projects?
Many people rely on visual aids to help them make decisions. Don’t be shy to ask your contractor for pictures of preferably their most recent work. If they are proud and confident in their workmanship, they should be more than happy to provide you with photos, references from past clients as well as testimonials. Most of this should be readily available for you to view on their website. You could also have a chat with other property owners who have used their services and get their opinion. Once you have a general idea of how their business operates, you can make an informed decision.
If we have missed out any, here some other notable questions you could ask.
- Who will be carrying out the work on my driveway? The company you choose should have skilled, experienced staff. They should also be reliable and trustworthy.
- What type of materials will you use? Professional paving companies will only use materials designed to last a long time.
- Who will clean up after the paving is done? Reputable firms will always leave your property in a neat and orderly way. You should get assurances from them that they will clean up their equipment and clear any debris left behind.
Ready to install your new driveway? Contact Champion Builders today. Our philosophy is simple:
- Do the best job possible
- Use the best equipment and materials available
- Treat each customer as if they are the most important
- Work to the deadline – never miss a deadline.